This is my go-to holiday treat ~ doesn’t matter what holiday, I’ll make this dessert because it’s easy, only takes 4 ingredients, and can be modified depending on the holiday. And it’s foolproof!
If you need to bring something to a party, or just want something special on your table, try this recipe.
Super Yummy Brownie Trifle Thing (this is the official name we’ve given it here at Etherton House. Feel free to use whatever name you like.)
- Brownie mix ~ I use Ghiradelli Double Chocolate
- Cool Whip ~ the largest container or two small
- Mousse mix ~ I use milk chocolate, but feel free to experiment
- English toffee ~ here’s where you can have some fun! At Christmas I might add crushed candy canes, for Valentines maybe red hots, at Easter some marshmallows, it just depends on what you like. Oh, if you can’t find English Toffee, just use a Heath Bar. No one will ever know.
Now that you have the ingredients, this is what you do:
Make the brownies according to package directions. Note* I like to undercook the brownies just a little bit. You want them moist and not crunchy. Let the brownies cool completely.
Make the mousse mix according to package directions.
Smash the toffee or other topping with a rolling pin or meat pounder. This part is really fun. Get the topping smashed up into little pieces, but not powdered mush.
Break up your cooled brownies and line half of the brownies in a glass trifle dish or bowl. Don’t sweat it if you don’t have the fancy trifle dish, any clear bowl or dish will work. You want people to be able to see your amazing mad baking skills!
Top your brownies with half of the mousse mixture.
Smooth half of the tub of Cool Whip over the mousse mixture.
Sprinkle on your toffee, candy canes, or whatever goody you are using.
Repeat! Brownie, mousse, Cool Whip.
Wait! Don’t add another topping layer.
Over the Cool Whip you can either shave some chocolate (as in the picture above), or decorate with your toffee, make little hearts out of candy canes, whatever strikes your fancy.
Wasn’t that easy? It’s an elegant dessert that is super delicious!
Of course you’ll need a beverage to sip while enjoying your brownie dessert. What could be more decadent than a cocktail made with Godiva Liqueur?
- 1 oz Vodka
- 0.5 oz Godiva Mocha Liqueur
- 2 oz cream
- 1 sprinkle nutmeg